Thursday, January 17, 2013

Do. Good Stitches

I love the sewing community on Flickr. I have had a chance to be a part of some fun swaps and everybody is so supportive. Plus I love seeing all of the amazing talent that is out there and the things they make. I also noticed a wonderful sewing bee group called Do. Good Stitches. I finally looked into it and knew it was something I wanted to be a part of.
The basic idea is making quilts and giving them to people in need. The bee is broken down into sub bees with names like: Love, Hope, Joy and Peace. Each group has a specific charity that they give the quilts to like Project Linus and Wrap them in Love. Each bee group has stitchers and quilters. The quilters come up with the design of the quilt and then each member of the bee (stitchers and quilters) makes two squares for the quilt and sends them to the quilter in charge. The quilter then takes all the squares and makes them into a quilt to be given to the charity. Awesome.


I filled out my form and have been on the waiting list to get involved, and last month, I got in! The group that I am a part of is the Faith group. I was so happy about this, because I consider myself a woman of faith, the other group members are awesome, and the charity they support is such an important one. It's called Restore Innocence. It is a faith-based, non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of child sex trafficking. Not something I even want to think that is happening out there, but it is a reality and these girls need help. Making them a quilt that they can call their own and wraps them in love and comfort is our little way of helping.

These are the blocks I make for the December quilt. It's made using a tutorial by Film in the Fridge called Converging Corners. The colors specified were all shades of purple, periwinkle and aqua. I'm not a huge purple person, so this was a good stretch.I also haven't ever improvised a block before, so I was able to try something new!


After finishing them, I may have done a couple of things differently, but I'm happy with them and can't wait to see what the whole quilt looks like when it's all put together. Each quilt using this tutorial would be totally different because they're all improvised.
I have not started the January blocks yet, so I better get moving! They are made using the Sparkle quilt blocks in a scrappy style. Should be fun!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Nice blocks! Glad you joined our circle, Ellie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails