Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Granny Squares Quilt

The holidays are behind us and we're off and running with the new year! I took some time off from blogging to enjoy the holidays and get some other work done, but glad to be back. Today I wanted to share the quilt I made for a Christmas gift.
 It is the Granny Squares Quilt I made from the tutorial by Blue Elephant Stitches. I love the simplicity of the design and that it kind of had that vintage crocheted granny square look. And all done in 2 1/2" squares!
 I used a Fig Tree Quilts California Girl jelly roll by Moda. I love the dreamy colors and pretty prints. They also have that nice vintage feeling but with fun pops of color. And because it was a jelly roll, it made it really easy to cut out the squares, perfect.

For the back of the quilt, I stitched some of the left over squares in a line and bordered them with white. It was a simple design element, but I really like the way it turned out.

 Since this was a Granny Squares quilt, I decided to give it to one of my favorite "grannies", my Mother-in-Law! Let me just take a minute to tell you a little about her. She is one of the most amazing women you could ever know. She can accomplish more in a short amount of time than anyone in a day. She is an incredible cook, always making amazing meals from scratch. And knows how to make quick, healthy snacks in a minute. Her home is clean, organized and beautiful. She is fun to be with, funny, a great storyteller and always "game" to do just about anything. She is a loving wife who takes good care of her hubby. She is service oriented, works hard in all her church callings, is a terrific speaker and just takes care of the needs that are around her. She is an example of faith, love and resilience (has battled and beat cancer twice!) and is someone I hope to be like when I grow up. But the best thing about her is that she is such a good grandma. She is so good with kids, talks with them, gets on the floor and actually plays with them, never misses a birthday or special day and just makes them feel so loved. I'm so glad my kids have her. I could go on forever, but basically I love her to pieces, love learning from her and am so grateful I get to be her "daughter". The least I could do was make her a quilt, right? ;)

 When I was deciding how I would quilt this quilt I thought it would be fun to continue on the granny theme! My MIL has 15 grand kids so I quilted the name of each of her grand kids in every other square. This way when she is using the quilt all her grand kids could be near and dear to her heart. The above example is my daughter Maggie's name.
This square has my son, Samuel's name. The rest of the quilt is done in a basic stipple. You would never see the names just by glancing at the quilt. But she knows they are there and that's what counts. It truly is a granny quilt.
 For the back of the quilt, I stitched some of the left over squares in a line and bordered them with white. It was a simple design element, but I really like the way it turned out.
I loved making this quilt. It was a fun process and it's nice to make a quilt for someone specific. You get to think about them while you are making it and more love goes into the whole process. Love you Momma!

3 comments:

Bluebell Ridge Handworks said...

What a wonderful tribute to a remarkable woman! So glad you had such a wonderful time making this beautifully special quilt for your mother-in- law :)

Debbie said...

Very nice! And I agree the back is just right!

amy smart said...

I love your Granny squares! I started some granny square blocks last year, but I think I only did three. :/ Yours is inspiring. And I love that you made it for your MIL. She sounds amazing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails