Thursday, September 27, 2012

FLiQS Swap


 I had so much fun participating in the FLiQS Swap! Though I have to say it was a tough finish with all the Sewing Summit goodies I'm trying to make. Luckily there was a deadline and I got it done! This is the quilt I made for my partner. She loves Denise Schmidt fabric and this is her new fabric line, Chicopee. It has kind of a retro 70's feel.
For the design I took inspiration from this mug I saw at Target:
 It's a variation of a chevron and kind of looks like a feather. I decided to use Essex Linen for the "white" space.

I debated a lot on the quilting. I thought about doing a "stitch in the ditch" and then hand quilting the linen shapes. But someone mentioned doing quilting with curves to offset the straight lines. I did not want to do a typical stipple, so I tried something new! Random swirls. It was pretty fun, I always enjoy machine quilting and love to try a new process.
For the tag I decided to go with the feather idea and make it an arrow. I made it fairly large because I thought it made for kind of a cool design element on the back.
Can't show my partner's name, don't want to give it away yet, but the other details are there. I hope she likes it!
I also received my quilt! This fun and beautiful treat was made by QuiltinKimmie. I love polka dots and bright colors, so this is perfect! I also love that she personalized it with an "E" for me. It really makes it more mine. :)
On the back to keep with the theme, she used this fun dot fabric. And for a "tag" she filled in the dots with the info, perfect!
 But not only did I get a fabulous quilt, I got all of these fun goodies! A sewing room pattern, pencils, mini nail file, owl hair clips, little glass animals and a tissue holder, WOW!! I got truly spoiled! My three daughters were calling dibs on everything, but I got to say they were mine! :) Okay, I might share a few things.

So I would call that a successful swap! I really enjoy making things for someone, and it's so awesome to get presents in the mail made just for you. Thanks Kim!








1 comment:

Elaine said...

I absolutely love my mini quilt! And funny thing is that I think I took a picture of that same Target mug as quilting inspiration :) Thanks so much for making such a thoughtful mini for me. I blogged about it here: http://dashasel.blogspot.com/2012/10/swaps.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails